Friday, December 24, 2010

It's Christmas almost all over the world

December 25 is an official holiday because in spite of India being dominated by Hinduism, a large chunk of the population is Christians, larger than entire Philippine population even.

I find some commercial establishments gearing up for Christmas, putting up trimmings in their stores, a life-size dancing Santa Claus doll at one Archie's branch, snowflakes made of polystyrene decorating the glass door of my favorite coffee shop. During lunch today I saw an emaciated Indian wearing Santa costume walk by, made me think even Santa Claus didn't escape the economic depression. Other than that, there's not much raving about Christmas I can observe here. No Christmas trees, no carols, no star-shaped lanterns, no last-minute shopping for gifts, no parties, no queso-de-bola (edam), no chestnuts roasting in an open fire, no Adelina's ham which I am craving for as I write this.

I am not a big fan of Christmas. If not for tradition and it being a time of the year when my family makes sure we get together and exchanging gifts with them and friends is most fun, I would consider it like any other official holiday, just like the way it is being considered here in Delhi. And for this reason that I should be feeling at ease. But there is something about being away from my family and friends that makes me miss Christmas now and actually wish I could celebrate it somehow.

I miss home and I miss my family on this day, in a few hours it will be Christmas, in a fewer hours, it will be Christmas in the Philippines and my family will partake of traditional Noche Buena (Christmas Eve dinner)and open presents. Two of us won't be there, I and my dad who passed away just two months ago.

I have not firmed up any plan for tomorrow, Mike is Jewish and does not traditionally celebrate Christmas, we have two American guests who also do no celebrate Christmas, i am atheist.. I am thinking now, it is not really about Christmas, it's about being in another place and culture on a day that is special to my culture, missing a tradition I have grown up with that is making me start to cry....

And just about when the first tear drop is about to fall, a colleague comes to my cabin, gives me samosa and chai. I get up from my seat and go around to ask to what do i owe the pleasure of unexpectedly getting samosa and chai, one colleague said the Admin officer ordered it distributed to everyone.... he doesn't know why, but i'm guessing it's because it's Christmas. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment