Monday, May 10, 2010

A brief trip back to the Philippines on Election Day

For the first time since I came of legal age to vote I am waiving my right of suffrage in exchange of a volunteer service in India. It’s one right that I have always enjoyed to exercise despite the fact that not of one of my choices emerged as winner. For some reason I am glad not to be in my country today and unable to vote because of the stultifying inanity in the conduct of this year’s elections. I’d start with the outgoing president running for Congress, two notch lower than her current position. Many sincerely believed that with her unquenchable thirst for power, this is a ploy so that if she made it to congress she, along with her would-be congressional cohorts can amend the constitution and orchestrate a shift from presidential to parliamentary system that would catapult her to the position of prime minister. Others think that this is an attempt to still still hide from the cloak of impunity, elude the copious charges of corruption that will be thrown at her feet once she is no longer in power.

Then there’s a former president ousted less than a decade ago and is trying to stage a comeback even after being jailed, convicted of plunder, then pardoned and released. There’s also the candidate overtly supported by the administration but all indications show that there is another candidate who woos the voters with his rags-to-riches story, who has the clandestine backing of the administration. And then there’s the former president’s son not known for stellar performance in the senate but banks on the legacy of his parents. There are other candidates vying for presidential post but surveys showed their poor ranking as people’s choice. That they sling filthy mud at one another needs no mention . Sadly, this is a norm rather than an exception.

For another reason I feel that I want to be there and be part of the historic national elections. It is yet the most crucial election since 1985 when I was a year short of the age to vote. Today, my country decides on its plight through an automated election, something that people have been clamoring for years, weary of the constant cheating and protracted canvassing that keeps filipinos in suspended animation and anticipation of whether those who were expected to rig the results could actually carry it out .

It is also a crucial day because the country has been muddled in deep political and economic crises for the last nine years that many Filipinos, and this is just my own take, have been worn out with actions to replace an unwanted government through another people power. Today, Filipinos decide with a glimpse of hope for genuine change thru reviving virtues and morals that eluded us for the last couple of years.

Doubts about the cleanliness of this election still looms but people are more engaged and vigilant now. I don’t know what will happen 36 hours after the polls officially close and the new president is announced. Talks about another people power are floating, just as I was writing this I saw a video of a former military officer, now at large, one of those who staged mutiny against the current government announced that they will support another people power, if the election results do not turn out the way the people want it. Other more popular leaders however disapproves of another marching on the streets.

I am not registered as an absentee voter. I am simply not a voter this year, period. All I could do now is hope that this year election is clean and that the true voices of the people will emerge. Together with the Filipinos casting their votes today I dream with them that we have a new government that will genuinely lift the country from economic and political despondency.

2 comments:

  1. hey,Len, send this to PDI letter to the editor. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. same here hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete